Monday, October 03, 2005

Bagel Dogs!!

I'd first seen mention of these over at My Little Kitchen, as Kathy was Dining with the Bloggers last Wednesday. I was intrigued by her beautiful picture, no less than by her description: "A Hebrew national hot dog encased in a bagel."

Never having heard of such a thing before, I was quite enchanted... and also, very glad that it just happened to be poker night.



The guys started arriving, and I got to work making up the dough. Luckily, Mcauliflower's description of the recipe was very easy to follow, along with an ever-so helpful photo of the encasing process.

As hands were being dealt out and bravado bandied around, I wrapped up the dogs- in this case, Nathan's- and laid them out on baking trays to wait for the water to reach a boil.

It couldn't have been easier, and before I knew it, my quadrupled recipe had been boiled, coated with poppyseeds and garlic salt, and baked to an enticing golden brown.

With eight different types of mustard to choose from, the guys made short work of the glorious, glorious pile of bagel dogs. Luckily, I'd pulled a couple aside earlier for myself.

Yes, I know the dogs are supposed to be entirely encased, but it was sort of cute to see the end stick out just a little. Very 'pigs-in-a-blanket'.

The larger dog is a Nathan's; the smaller one is the chicken andouille that I was able to scrounge from the fridge after realizing there was still a fair amount of dough left. Both were incredibly tasty, the dogs juicy and full of flavour, surrounded in that bagel-dense, spice-bathed coat. I mean, how dramatically different is this than a bun-encased hot dog? Different enough to have had me craving more bagel dogs all the weekend through...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

OH MAN! Those look absolutely delish! What a great combo bagel and dog!! Mmmmm, and way better than pigs in a blanket my friend! I can't believe you made homemade bagels too! I will have to make note of that recipe.

October 03, 2005 1:48 PM  
Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Those do look much better than pigs in a blanket.

October 03, 2005 2:44 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

I'm glad they worked out so well for you! It is easy to go bonkers on what to roll them in before baking.

I always liked my dogs to be peaking out too.

October 03, 2005 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: