Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Brekkie for Him, Lunch for the Missus

It’s Sunday, straddling the hour between morning and afternoon. I’d told DucCat earlier about the whole Peter Wells-cheese sandwich hoopla, and with that in mind, we set about making a little something to eat.

One of DucCat’s employees had visited home the previous weekend, and returned with something called a ‘pork roll’. Neither of us had heard of one before; it looked a bit like a massive, pale salami, and smelled rather like bologna.

After frying up a couple of slices on the stove, he poached some eggs, then added it all to a split and toasted hard roll, each with its own slice of individually wrapped American cheese.

The aroma was tempting to say the least, and since there were two sandwiches anyway, he let me try a bite. I’m not quite sure how to describe the taste of the pork roll itself, except to say it was a bit like summer sausage. This sandwich could have been the genesis for the original Egg McMuffin, an homage which never lived up to the prototype. This was truly delicious, made on great bread, a perfectly cooked egg, just the right amount of cheese, and a good, fatty layer of soft, succulent pork. Yowza!


My own sandwich paled just a bit in comparison, but in its own way was no slouch. Trader Joe’s Roasted Red Pepper Spread, baby spinach, thinly sliced red onion, chopped tomato and a mixture of feta and piave cheeses were all squeezed between two pieces of whole wheat bread in the panini maker. The resultant sandwich was excellent indeed, although I had the usual problem of the filling squeezing out with each messy bite.

When all was said and done, though, I found my mind’s eye wandering back to that luscious breakfast sandwich.


tagged with:

2 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

I LOVE PORK ROLL!!! It rarely makes an appearance outside of NJ or PA - I can't believe it made its way down to you. Pork roll is one of my all time favorite things ever, I grew up eating it every weekend. If you need a fix, I know some internet sources that will ship it to you!

March 01, 2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Oh my goodness. Those sandwiches look incredible. And the cheeses in yours-what a great combo! I have a friend whose favorite thing to eat is fried bologna and cheese sandwiches...

March 01, 2006 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: