Monday, May 29, 2006

You're Welcome, My One True Love



I usually steer away from cookies at this time of year, but due to some extenuating circumstances, I've made some exceptions.

Recently, though, it was a late-evening plea from my loving husband. For something hot, a rich, soul-sustaining mouthful of chocolate. Luckily, I had gleaned a cookbook from the second-hand store, and had just the recipe to fulfill such a craving.

Filled with rich, dark cocoa, and sprinkled with white chocolate chips, these cookies emerged from the oven soft, warm, and oozing in comforting vibes. Just the way DucCat requested.


Inside-Out Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 3/4 cups unbleached AP flour
1 1/4 cups Dutch process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/2 pound, plus 4 tablespoons), softened to room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 ounces white chocolate, broken into 1/4-inch chunks (or use chips)

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper. You may need to use each cookie sheet more than once. Cool cookie sheet completely after each baking, and reline with parchment.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
In bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture until completely incorporated. Remove bowl from mixer, and fold in the white chocolate chunks with a rubber spatula.
Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter onto prepared cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are puffed, but still soft to the touch: do not overbake! Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

Yield: about 5 dozen cookies
from "Chocolate For Christmas", by Maria Robbins

9 Comments:

Blogger Ziz said...

oh my gaaah. Those look amazing! :)

May 29, 2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger wheresmymind said...

Why would you steer clear of cookays? They are super yum!

May 30, 2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

Those look heavenly for sure. Can you ever go wrong with a chocolate cookie, ever??

Congrats on your BBQ article. It was super and to see you get published makes me feel like a proud parent! LOL! Now where do I get an autograph??

May 30, 2006 7:46 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

S'kat,
I don't recall you participating in a Paper Chef. The next one's starting up and I'd love to see what you come up with. (http://seriouslygood.kdweeks.com/2006/05/paper-chef-18.html)

May 30, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Mmmmmm - I love chocolate chocolate chip cookies, they're always a little softer and richer than the regular kind. And congratulations on the article!!

May 30, 2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Alicat, they most certainly were!

WWM, the dreaded swimsuit season is nearly upon us, and I've been unable to exercise for the past two months.

Vicky, you certainly can't go wrong, and thank you so much! It was fun to write and photograph, and I'll continue to do so.

Kevin- You're right, so I'll be checking in with you.

Mebeth, these were definately rich! And thanks!

May 30, 2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, chocolate coooooooooooookies....

what surface are they sitting on? looks funky and rockin'!

May 30, 2006 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too wondered why you're avoiding cookies--then I read about the swimsuit season. Of course! I'm trying to watch what I eat too--not always very successfully. The cookies look heavenly.

May 30, 2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

iac- they are sitting on a clear, though bubble-filled, platter. The platter sits on top of one of my husband's paintings, which simply kick ass. JMHO.

Sher, I *love* working out to some intense cardio, but blew out my knees in a spinning class- then exacerbated it by "just" doing step classes. Sigh. I haven't been able to do anything more than walk until just today, and am working towards getting back into fighting shape again. Damn the cookies, but I love them still. :)

May 30, 2006 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: