Thursday, October 27, 2005

Tuesday Tacos and Tempranillo

We were still in recovery mode from being on holiday, and wanted a simple and fast meal. Once again, we found ourselves reaching to the back of the pantry for our Ortega Taco Kit. Yes, we are only human.

In all honesty, I’d never eaten one of these until I met DucCat; this was one of his staple bachelor meals. Throw some ground beef in the skillet, and actually, it doesn't even matter if it's fresh or frozen. Get it nice and brown, then open the seasoning packet and dump the contents in.

Keep the seasoning packet pulled wide open, and fill it almost to the brim with water; add this to the skillet, too, along with a nice dollop of taco sauce or salsa, whatever you have in your fridge. It doesn’t hurt to add a couple of drops of Dave's Insanity Sauce, but not too much.

And soon, you’ve got tacos. Here are DucCat’s.


Before he met me, his tacos were pretty much just meat and cheese.


Look at all the vegetables now- I am so proud.
*dreamy sigh*





Now I’m not some sort of crazy anti-carb person, but unless I’ve been running a lot,
I prefer a lettuce-leaf wrapped taco. Let’s the flavours shine through a lot more clearly, or something.



Of course, I’m not here to talk about convenience-food dinners, so let’s move onto the wine: a Rioja Antano Tempranillo 2002.


I believe we had our first taste of this wine about a year or so ago, and I’m already seeing some improvements.

It’s a tangle of raspberries and soft fruit; the harsher tannins have mellowed a bit, and it’s smooth and groovy on your tongue.

The finish lingers smoothly- altogether a very pleasant wine, though I’ll cop to drinking it more after the meal than during.

What out there pairs really well with Dave’s Insanity Sauce, other than agua?

3 Comments:

Blogger vlb5757 said...

S'Kat-Darling Hubby and I are 10 miles from the Afton Winery. We are going there tomorrow for a tasting. We happen to have a bottle of their Riesling in our ice chest here in the hotel. Do you want us to pick you a bottle or two of wine if we can? It was so cool that you had the winery on your link. I happen to remember tasting their wines at the Towne Point Wine Festival last weekend. So then when I saw it as one of your links I clicked on it and we were shocked to see how close we are to the winery. So we are going to try and go there tomorrow. I will check back in to see if you want something. Leave your answer here on the blog. I can't get to my E mail but can access the blog.

October 27, 2005 7:26 PM  
Blogger Cookie Madness said...

"On Holiday" eh? Since when are you British?

October 27, 2005 10:24 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

I'd like to point out that I said, "on holiday",not "On Holiday". There you have it, I'm a scrubby, ill-mannered American after all. ;)

October 28, 2005 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: