Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Lost, but not forgotten, Summer Lunches

I was going through my photo archives recently when I came across a couple of pictures that I had meant to put up on the blog. Somehow, they were passed over, so we'll make a quick trip back in time to a summery, Sunday lunch.


DucCat and I had been out visiting the Williamsburg Farmer's Market on the motorcycle, and returned with a bevy of heirloom tomatoes, bread and cheeses. On the tray, beginning in the upper left, you'll see a very fresh feta. The round of cheese over on the right is some sort of tripe creme (Chaource?), quite luscious, smooth, and just a little nutty.

Beneath that is a pungent specimen Morbier- notice the vein of ash running through the middle! The little blue bowl contains a good dollop of peppery, smoked liverwurst; just above that is a fresh and mild lavender goat cheese.

(DucCat didn't care so much for the lavender goat cheese as an eating-on-it's-own cheese. His attentions became much more entranced a few nights later, when I portioned it out on puff pastry, warmed it in the oven, then drizzled with rose hip honey and toasted pistachio halves.)

Just out of sight are the heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped and lightly dressed in olive oil, salt and basil.

A meal like this, of course, calls for wine, and we had one of my favourites that day:

the 2002 Pacific Peak Chardonnay.

I've mentioned it several times on the blog as our house white wine.

It's light in body, with soft pear and citric fruits, and enough acidity to keep the palate interesting.

I LOVE THIS WINE!

Oh, and have I mentioned that it's only $3.99 a bottle? Dude, like, it's totally a no-brainer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Deetsa said...

When I read what you did with the leftover lavendar goat cheese I drooled all over myself and nearly fainted with the imagined pleasure. I wanna!!!

November 22, 2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

3.99 a bottle? wow that's amazing. love heirloom tomatoes and it's never too late to post some great pix :) who has the motorcycle? happy thanksgiving to you and DucCat!!

November 22, 2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

What? 3.99? I hereby declare this my house white wine as well! Feel free to post your house red and I'll adopt that one too!!

November 22, 2005 3:58 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

tdc- it was seriously good. I can't wait to do this again!


Mona, my husband owns three Ducatis, hence his internet moniker. I ride behind him... still a bit too chicken to take it up all on my own!

mebeth, we're currently in a house red quandry, though the Le Bet La Fete seemed to be a forerunner for a while.

November 28, 2005 8:03 AM  
Blogger oddlyme said...

"(DucCat didn't care so much for the lavender goat cheese as an eating-on-it's-own cheese. His attentions became much more entranced a few nights later, when I portioned it out on puff pastry, warmed it in the oven, then drizzled with rose hip honey and toasted pistachio halves.)"

Um, who wouldn't be entranced? Wow!

Oh and I stumbled on this blog years after this post, doing a search for Pacific peak wine. What a bonus to get such a fun read : )

June 14, 2011 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: