Monday, March 20, 2006

It’s Good To Live in the South...


...where barbecue and the art of smoking are time-honoured traditions.


What better way to begin a blustery Saturday morning?



The saucin' liquid- really, just a blend of Pigman's "Hot" Barbecue Sauce, Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce, and apple cider vinegar- was mixed up, and ready to go, just as the coals hissed to temperature.

A few hours passed, and each plump little butt was judiciously basted.


Meanwhile, I gathered the ingredients for a piquant and properly Virginian side of no-mayo coleslaw.




As the shadows lengthened, the winds shifted, and what had been a blustery March morning turned into an afternoon of howling Northern winds.
The smoker's temperature plummeted dangerously, and DucCat was suddenly in motion, starting two chimney's worth of additional fuel to stoke the fire.




Finally, the temperature stabilized, and with another round of saucin', the smoking continued.

With the setting sun looming, the time had arrived. The butts were pulled, securely wrapped in tin foil, and left for a little rest. The heady aroma of pork and spice was mouthwatering, and it was difficult to resist tearing into one for a little taste.

Restraint rewarded us with meat that split like silk, glimmering with juices, and rouged just right with a magnificent smoke ring.


Chop, chop, chop...
...in short time, 36 pounds of barbecue was dispersed to several containers destined for friends, family, and freezer.



Slaw at the ready, all that was left was the eatin'. With a pile of napkins, and the sweet smell of smoke still in the air, we dug in with relish. True classics never go out of style, y'all!



note: Now, I'm not trying to start anything, but it's my belief that a bun stifles the purity of the barbecue, and I'm nothing if not a purist when it comes to such things. Of course, if you have to go the bun route, at least make sure that its a CWB (cheap white bun)


The Renowned Mr. Brown

"In old Southern slang, "Mr. Brown" is the dark, smoky outside part of barbecued pork, usually the shoulder. This is the traditional cooking style, perfected by generations of pitmasters to give Mr. Brown his deserved renown."
-from Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison


1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoonon cayenne



Link to Coleslaw recipe

13 Comments:

Blogger Parton Words said...

I am soooooooooooooo hungry now !!!

March 21, 2006 4:06 PM  
Blogger nosheteria said...

Yum, looks amazing. And I am all for the mayo-less slaw. If only all BBQ sides were mayo free.

March 21, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm drooling. That looks great!

March 21, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Ilva said...

mmm sounds so good!

March 22, 2006 12:38 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Oh my goodness, I love a good Southern BBQ. This looks amazing!

March 22, 2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger mae said...

Mmmm mmmm! Delicious!

March 22, 2006 6:27 AM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Oh, I'm quite convinced that no one in Seattle knows how to make this. Therefore, you've left me hungry without any way to sate myself now!

March 22, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I've been surviving on store-bought (well, restaurant-bought) 'Q for the past two years and I'm really looking forward to getting a smoker again this spring.

At least, unlike poor Shauna, I can buy decent BBQ here in Knoxville.

And BTW, the post looks fine on my 800x600 laptop running Windows 2000.

March 22, 2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Parton, my work here is done.

nosh, I tend to aviod mayo whenever possible. In fact, that reminds me of a mayo-less spinach dip that I haven't made in quite some time...

Barbara, Ilva, Michele, mae- happy to share the love!

Shauna- I'd overnight some to you, but amazingly, there's none left!

Kevin- A smoker is the deal, and I can't wait to see what fine things you craft from it.

It's good to know it looks okay on your laptop... I'm on Mozilla at home, so perhaps there's a problem in that.

March 22, 2006 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Sistah...ain't nothing like southern que! Looks yummy...can I come over?

March 22, 2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I'm so jealous of your smoker! I wonder if they'd let me set one up on the sidewalk outside of my building...

March 22, 2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I am jealous, jealous, jealous! It looks amazing, lucky you!

March 22, 2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Looks great! I have to get one of those Weber Bullets someday...beautiful slaw, too. Right on about the CWB, for buns, or even just a few pieces of airbread on the side......

March 23, 2006 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: