Thursday, April 13, 2006

Trader Joe's Rocks the Sandwiches

I've recently become hooked upon a couple of Trader Joe's products: the Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant & Garlic, and their fabulous Tzatziki.

My first attempt manifested itself as a 'tzatziki sandwich'. Sliced baguette, a generous amount of tzatziki, topped with tomatoes, thinly-sliced red onion, and cucumbers. It was an interesting idea, but ultimately failed in the execution. The bread turned squishy almost instantly from the sauce, and something about the cucumbers in the sandwich didn't quite do it for me.

The second go-round turned out far more tasty, if a bit more hastily photographed: the greek-style panini.

The red pepper spread, tzatziki, goat cheese, and basil were compressed between two thinly sliced pieces of bread on a hot panini grill. All the elements were in perfect harmony, and made for a great luncheon interlude. The only thing I'd do differently next time is to use more goat cheese!

Tzatziki Sandwich: Not really recommended.

T.J.'s Kinda-Greek-Style Panini

2 slices baguette
1 Tablespoon Trader Joe's Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant and Garlic
1 Tablespoon Trader Joe's Tzatziki
1/4 cup goat cheese, or more, as desired
minced basil

Coat 1 slice of bread with red pepper spread; coat the other slice with the tzatziki.
Layer a generous helping of goat cheese on bottom slice; strew with basil, and cover with top slice.
Spray outsides of bread with olive oil; cook per panini-maker's directions.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH, I have a fatal weakness for sandwiches like that! But, I'm trying to stay away from them for a while. Sigh. Well, a woman can always dream............

April 13, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I've been obsessed with tzatziki lately - I've been making my own but I'm definitely going to have to check it out at our new TJ's, once the around-the-block lines die down a bit.

April 13, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

i MUST get myself a panini grill! that sounds so good!

trader joe's most definitely rocks!

April 13, 2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

I was thinking about going to Trader Joes this weekend. I am home from work and I didn't eat while I was cooking. I am starved. So where is the first place I go?? To a food blog!! lol!

April 13, 2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Too bad, Sher! I have to get my panini fix at least once a week.

MeBeth, I was never really satisfied with any that came out of my own kitchen. 'till that fateful day comes, I'm more than happy with TJ's offering. It's in the refrigerated section.

iamchanelle, my in-laws got all of the 'kids' panini grills a few years ago. Almost as great a gift as the KitchenAid.

Vicki, if you go, you MUST try these items!

April 13, 2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger Tea said...

Oh, girl, you got the TJs bad:-)

One of my best friends moved from California to your neck of the woods a few years back, and she was doing back flips when your Trader Joes opened. She used to come visit me and bring an insulated bag as her carry on--to fill up with TJ goodies to bring back with her. Glad you are having fun with it--the sandwich looks delish.

April 19, 2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ok, one more reason for me to hit the TJ's that just opened in NYC.

April 20, 2006 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: