Thursday, March 30, 2006

A Carefree Thursday

After a busy week and an upcoming parade, Thursday had arrived, and I was without a dinner plan.

Luckily, DucCat had a little ace hidden up his sleeve. I returned home that night to two fistfulls of tomato-laden, basil-laced love.

He'd popped by Florimonte's earlier that day, and picked up a couple of containers of sauce: Marinara with Italian Sausage for him, and Zucchini and Sundried Tomato for me. "Va benne!" I said, and with a quick kiss, we got to work.

He got the sauces bubbling away, along with a pot of water for pasta. Meanwhile, I arranged a few giardiniera, blanched some broccoli raab, and wilted some spinach. Dinner was done, and in less than thirty minutes... Rachel Ray would be proud.

We sat down with a new quaff, a 2003 Tusk'n'Red. A wine that, I assure you, was not purchased due to the cute animal-friendly label. No, I think that perhaps- just perhaps- I recognized a little something of myself in that bocce-ball-crazed elephant.

The colour was a carefree garnet, and the aroma intense, heady, like something in last-winter's memory. Late evening dancers kicked their heels up with soft, dark accents, while a languid trio trickled down my throat to triumph with velvet-touched spice. Very nice, and completely arm-in-arm with the food.

Ah yes, the food. Somehow in the excitement between plating and sitting down, I completely forgot to photograph DucCat's dish, which was rife with pasta, meatballs, and a rich, sausage-studded sauce. It was truly a thing of beauty. But, after all, mine was more colourful- let's not forget the zucchini. Or the greens

Even the cats seemed slightly distracted by the vegetables that night. Or perhaps they just felt I was the easier mark.

5 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

Your dish looks delicious, and that bread - mmmmm! I can't imagine you had any left to share with the kitties.

April 02, 2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

if you look really close in the last picture, you can see duccat's half-eaten meatballs and pasta...so we got a glimpse afterall!

:)

that all sounded amazing.

oh, and hi, by the way. i love to lurk here. :)

April 02, 2006 11:50 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Nothing from me, but I'm pretty sure that I saw DucCat slipping them some pasta.

Well hello iamchannelle, and thanks so much for de-lurking!

April 03, 2006 12:09 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

S'kat,

I've just gotta ask: How does one tell a garnet is carefree?

April 03, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Good question, Kevin. It's mostly a texture issue, re-confirmed when the glass is held aloft at a slight angle.

April 03, 2006 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: