Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Like Buttah, Baby.

"So George," I purred, casting a knowing eye downwards, "DucCat won't be back in town until tomorrow. Got anything... interesting for me?"

Never one to let me down, he deftly pulled a soft and sultry-looking cheese from the refrigerated case, offering me a taste. My eyes widened.

"I'll take two! And a nice bottle of chard for his return. And, er, some more Alessi. Well, if I only need another bottle for a half case, throw in a Pac Peak as well."

I may never walk out of the Warwick Cheese Shoppe for less than $100, but it's always with an armful of old favourites and delicious new finds.

King Island Dairy's Seal Bay Triple Cream is Australia's sassy answer to brie- rich, creamy and decadent, with a smooth and suave nutty character. A single bite can elicit joyful laughter- two may cause swooning, and by that third luscious taste, it's pure, brazen, cream-fueled ecstasy.


No cheese stands alone 'round here, and the Charles Creek 2003 Las Patolitas Chardonnay was a lovely partner. Rich and buttery in its own right, but with enough sweet pear and pineapple to provide balance and contrast. A sip of wine left a luscious, lingering finish that seemed to come full-circle with each new taste of cheese.

Welcome back from racing school, honey!

4 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

The cheese looks deeelicious. And I am beginning to suspect that I might understand the origins of the nickname "DucCat" (unless that's his real first name, in which case please disregard this comment).

March 23, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

beautiful pictures. you sound like a pro at wine pairing.

March 23, 2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Is it me or is it getting hot in here......

That's one seductive hunk.....of cheese.

March 23, 2006 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG -- I've been visiting your blog for quite a while and had never really gotten the meaning of DucCat -- wondered about it. Duhhhh, now I get it after seeing the pic. 30 years ago my ex and I were on the Harley every weekend...never been on a Ducati. Probably at this point won't! Cooking with gas is all the danger I can handle. tehehehe

March 24, 2006 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: