Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Like Buttah, Baby.

"So George," I purred, casting a knowing eye downwards, "DucCat won't be back in town until tomorrow. Got anything... interesting for me?"

Never one to let me down, he deftly pulled a soft and sultry-looking cheese from the refrigerated case, offering me a taste. My eyes widened.

"I'll take two! And a nice bottle of chard for his return. And, er, some more Alessi. Well, if I only need another bottle for a half case, throw in a Pac Peak as well."

I may never walk out of the Warwick Cheese Shoppe for less than $100, but it's always with an armful of old favourites and delicious new finds.

King Island Dairy's Seal Bay Triple Cream is Australia's sassy answer to brie- rich, creamy and decadent, with a smooth and suave nutty character. A single bite can elicit joyful laughter- two may cause swooning, and by that third luscious taste, it's pure, brazen, cream-fueled ecstasy.

No cheese stands alone 'round here, and the Charles Creek 2003 Las Patolitas Chardonnay was a lovely partner. Rich and buttery in its own right, but with enough sweet pear and pineapple to provide balance and contrast. A sip of wine left a luscious, lingering finish that seemed to come full-circle with each new taste of cheese.

Welcome back from racing school, honey!


Blogger Maureen said...

Mmmmm...that cheese looks so good! I'm going to have to look for that around these parts. What a great wine and cheese combo. BTW, I'v missed the wine chatter. :)

March 22, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

The cheese looks deeelicious. And I am beginning to suspect that I might understand the origins of the nickname "DucCat" (unless that's his real first name, in which case please disregard this comment).

March 23, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

beautiful pictures. you sound like a pro at wine pairing.

March 23, 2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara (Biscuit Girl) said...

Is it me or is it getting hot in here......

That's one seductive hunk.....of cheese.

March 23, 2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger violet said...

oh wow. it's not often i can say this. but that cheese picture definately made my mouth water.


i need to get down to this wine and cheese. the other half and i get down to newport news and or williamsburg quite a bit, actually.

March 23, 2006 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Janice said...

OMG -- I've been visiting your blog for quite a while and had never really gotten the meaning of DucCat -- wondered about it. Duhhhh, now I get it after seeing the pic. 30 years ago my ex and I were on the Harley every weekend...never been on a Ducati. Probably at this point won't! Cooking with gas is all the danger I can handle. tehehehe

March 24, 2006 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: