Tuesday, September 06, 2005

DucCat Woos s'kat with Cheese and Chorizo

It was a Thursday evening, coming upon a four-day long holiday weekend. We'd just had sushi, one of my favourite meals, so I expected the next night to go for DucCat's favourite, pasta du jour.

Oh, no. I came home from my run to enchanting, red smells wafting from a lidded pot on the stove. My eyes widened: "What's for dinner?" He tried to shoo me upstairs, but I refused to go without a peek.

Finally, he pulled off a chunk of Sydney's bread, removed the lid, and gave me the liquid-swirled piece. There was red wine, garlic, and spicy chorizo, soaked into nutty goodness. Some athletes like to come home to powerbars and water; I come home to simmered Spanish sausages, and promises of wine.



After cleaning up and watering down,
I was greeted with a lovely glass of Sangiovese.
The 2003 Il Bastardo is a light, fruity grin of a wine, just made to pair with fresh pastas- or sausage.




As is normal for this time of year, there is a plethora of insanely juicely, flavourful tomatoes, and cucumbers to use up. DucCat set up another
welcome salad of both, lightly dressed with white vinegar and a touch of salt and cracked black pepper.

Since DucCat had been out cheese-shopping that day, we had two new ones to try. One was a Morbier, stinky like a Tallegio, but bisected by a layer of ash. I believe that this layer separates the morning cheese from the evening cheese, but I'm not certain.


The gooey cheese is one we can't quite remember the name of, but it was possibly better than our usual Epoisses. I'll update this when I find out the name.

Paired with peppery water crackers, thin slices of Syd's bread, and the heady chorizo-red wine concoction that had sat upon our stove for a couple of hours, I was suitably impressed.

Honey, you've done it again. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Wow, you are a lucky woman.

I've had the Il Bastardo twice. The first time, I bought a bottle in a restaurant and shared it with a friend. We both loved it. The second bottle came from World Market, and to be honest, tasted kind bad. Not in an obviously corked kind of way, just a cheap wine kind of way. It must have been the pairing.

September 06, 2005 8:48 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

I've had this once before, too, and it was with a baked ziti. So, you may be right.

I'll also admit to being a sucker for a cute label- I love the fat guy!

September 07, 2005 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: