Monday, October 31, 2005

Peanut Butter, I Hardly Know 'er!

I just crack myself up sometimes. Ah-hem.

Anyways, I’ve finally gotten around to making some treats, and since it's Halloween, well then, how timely for the little ghosties and goblins prowling about tonight. Since I already had everything in the cupboard necessary, I made Anna’s Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

It was terribly difficult to resist the urge to add vanilla to the cookies, but I somehow managed. They turned out great, too, all hot and gooey straight from the oven, with loads of peanut butter flavour. Since I had part of an 80% Lindt chocolate bar left over, I chunked it, and added it in as well. The dark chocolate was a nice counterpoint against the sweetness.

Although these were very good, I did think they were rather sweet. Next time, I’ll reduce the amount of white sugar, and see how low we can go. I'm sure the sweetness will be no problem whatsoever for the kids!

I was unable to find the recipe by searching on her site (Anna, where did that recipe go?), so I’ll reproduce it here.




Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ cup shortening
½ cup margarine, softened (I used unsalted butter)
1 cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325-degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together shortening, margarine, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well-blended.
Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and oats; stir into the creamed mixture.
Gently fold in chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes in the preheated oven, or until just barely puffed and light brown. Don’t over-bake.
Cool and store in an airtight container.

Note: I used tablespoon-sized portions of dough for the cookies, and found that they baked off at about 17 minutes.



Happy Halloween!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

Those look delish! people at the office were lame today, i coulda used me some of those!

October 31, 2005 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look really good.

November 07, 2005 11:17 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Too bad, Mona! We're lucky enough that our office will purchase treats for us on most holidays. Of course, that's not even in the same league as homemade goodies.

Lisa, I assure you that they are! I froze about half the batch and look forward to enjoying the rest in another couple of weeks.

November 07, 2005 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: