Monday, January 16, 2006

Blue Sunday

This has definately been a season full of rich and hearty seasonal foods, so I welcomed the opportunity to join in Sweetnick’s ‘ARF/5-a-Day Tuesdays’.

And what better way to dip one’s toe into the realm of healthy and conscious eating than with blueberries? Wild Maine blueberries, to be exact. These delectable darlings are little powerhouses, just bursting with amazing antioxidant powers. Now, these are well and good enough popped raw into one’s mouth, but a sudden chilly snap gave me a better idea...



Pancakes!! Delicious wild blueberry pancakes, served with a cinnamon cream syrup, and a side of bacon. Did I mention that blueberries are extremely healthy? And really, I assure you that the bacon was placed there for purely stylistic purposes.

I don’t have a pancake recipe that really buttered my griddle, so a quick internet search found me checking in with Cooking For Engineers.

Basic Pancakes are a classic recipe that utilizes common cupboard ingredients for very tasty results. I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding the juice of one (smallish) lemon to the milk, and letting it sour for about twenty minutes before preceeding- it added the perfect tang to the fluffy cakes.

I also took the suggestion to add the blueberries after the pancakes are spooned out onto the griddle. Nothing appeals more to my Virgoan nature than a perfectly balanced wheel of blueberries in one’s pancakes.

The cinnamon cream syrup is a very special treat from James River Kitchen, my mother-in-law’s cookbook. DucCat and siblings were graced by the frequent appearance of cream waffles and the aforementioned syrup on many a happy Sunday morning. I was more than honoured to pay tribute this time ‘round.

Blueberries. It’s what for breakfast!


Basic Pancakes (Don’t forget to sour the milk with lemon juice... or just use buttermilk, should you have some available.)




Cinnamon Cream Syrup

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
1/4 cup whole milk

In a small saucepan, combine sugar, syrup, water and cinnamon.
Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Cook and stir 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
Stir in milk.
Serve warm over pancakes, waffles, or French toast.
Leftover syrup may be gently re-heated.

from 'James River Kitchen'

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I love breakfast! I foresee blueberries in my dreams...

By the way, what is Saigon cinnamon? Would the regular stuff do?

January 17, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Jennifer, it would be just fine to use regular cinnamon in this.

January 18, 2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Whoop! Where the heck did you get that fine looking bacon? We've been trying various higher end bacons this past week and none of them look as lean as that.

What brand is it?

January 18, 2006 1:37 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Anna, I picked that up at Costco. It's Kirkland Brand Maple Bacon. We've tried a variety of brands as well, but keep coming back to the Kirkland.

January 18, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

Yum! Our old house had a couple dozen blueberry bushes so I used to be totally rolling in them. This place only has half a dozen so I'm already on my last bag of home-frozen ones for this year...as opposed to the last place where I broke out the last gallons of last year's and made chutney when the first fruit was ready to pick. However, I think the last gallon is being broken into to make pancakes.

January 19, 2006 6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: