Friday, April 14, 2006

The Unholy Trinity

I was poking through some old recipe print-outs... perhaps I could make a scallop this? No. Maybe a catfish that? Nah... then I saw it. Originally spotted at Joe's, I'd tucked it away for an evening such as this: Shrimp, Broccoli, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Pasta!

DucCat was indeed lucky that he was away for Wednesday Poker Night. You see, there are certain food items that are gut-wrenchingly anathema to him. The three I just mentioned- excluding the pasta- are pretty high on that list.

Shrimp? Still can't get over a certain food poisoning incident from his youth.
Broccoli? "That foul weed had best not besmirch my kitchen!"
Sun-dried tomatoes? "Are you kidding me?"

Truly, the antithesis of everything he holds near and dear. I got right to work.

The recipe called for oil-free sundried-tomatoes, but all I had was the tinned and oily variety. I placed a colander over a bowl, and in they went, while I sorted out the rest of the ingredients. The recovered tomato oil was subbed for the olive oil, and I got down with the sauté.

Heedless of Cooking Light's waist-friendly recommendations, I unabashedly used full-fat everything. A little salt and pepper, a nice pinch of red pepper flakes, and I had something that smelled a lot like dinner.


Shrimp, Broccoli, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Spinach (but you can do pasta, if you really prefer)

adapted from Cooking Light

1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
4 garlic clove, minced
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup good quality chicken broth
1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese
salt and pepper
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
fresh basil, chiffonade, for finishing dish
toasted pine nuts
baby spinach

Place tomatoes in a colander, and let drain into a bowl. Set aside, retaining the oil.
Steam broccoli, covered, 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; easily done in the microwave with a bit of water.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved tomato oil to the pan. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add shrimp and red pepper flakes; cook 4 minutes.
Add broth and cream cheese, stirring to combine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and broccoli; stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as necessary. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, basil and pine nuts.
Serve immediately on a bed of wilted spinach.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

Note: See the original recipe for notes on doing this with pasta.

5 Comments:

Blogger eat stuff said...

OOh! That looks really good. I am definately on yourside I love all 3 of those ingrediatns

April 13, 2006 9:46 PM  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Mmm... That sounds like a great combination. I think you were better off using the oil-cured toms. The dried ones are a tad tasteless in my experience.

April 14, 2006 12:30 AM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

That looks really, really good and something I would eat in a skinny minute!! I can't see one downside to this recipe at all. This is a must fix!

April 14, 2006 7:44 AM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

THIS looks great. Bookmark!!

April 16, 2006 9:48 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

My friend made a crumble from Cooking light that was ridiculous. They seem to know what they're doing with recipes. Man, can you slow down? I can't keep up with all your posts:)

April 20, 2006 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: