Friday, May 12, 2006

Veal Saltimbocca with Mushrooms


Some great guesses, and some that were dead-on, but it was terisa who nailed it! Wine! Song! Women! Well, unless that's not your thing.

Still suffering the after-effects of some fiendishly unacceptable 'veal saltimbocca' from a certain local restaurant, DucCat and I set about erasing that tragic flavour from our mouths forever.

While fairly certain of the basics, neither one of us had made it before. As usual, I set off on a wild internet search, while DucCat flipped through a couple of cookbooks. And then, also part of our routine, I lost my print-outs, while DucCat tossed the cookbooks asunder in favour of 'winging it'.

He did indeed do that, and in his usual fine style. Veal cutlets were dredged in flour and a touch of salt and pepper for a quick, browning pan fry. Topped with prosciutto and sage, they went back in 'till the ham, too, turned nicely brown. In the meantime, the mushrooms cooked down in a buttery white wine sauce, made richer by the infusion of good quality veal stock.

All this went into a casserole, topped with mozzarella, and set in a moderate oven 'till the cheese melted just right. The recipe? Sadly, my hastily-scribbled notes appear to have been sucked into some sort of vortex. But the memory of that particular meal is still resplendently rich and soul-satisfying.

Mamma who?

6 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

What type of mushrooms did you use? I'm always looking out for new/interesing 'shrooms :)

May 12, 2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger eat stuff said...

OOOH!!!! THEY LOOK GOOD!

sorry capslock was on LOL

May 12, 2006 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, will have to settle for beer, song and men tonight. But it wasn't that hard a guess, since I do the same thing. If I have a not-so-good meal at a restaurant, the next time I feel like cooking, I'm trying to get it right. BTW, the tuna was lovely, although I substituted rosemary potatoes for the asparagus... I just had a craving for them.

May 12, 2006 11:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Looks wonderful! By the way, what's the saying on Ducat's shirt? You can only see part of it and now my curiousity has gotten the better of me.

May 13, 2006 5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMM, the drool is puddling in my mouth--which is always the highest of complments!

May 13, 2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

wmm, I used baby bellas this time around.

THANKS, CLARE!! (lol)

terisa, so glad to hear that the tuna went over well. I'm totally down with rosemary potatoes!

Barbara- you may regret asking this! What it says is, "My sport bike beat up your chopper", lol.

Sher, compliments to the chef, indeed!

May 15, 2006 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: