Sunday, April 30, 2006

IMBB 25: Give Us This Day Yesterday's Bread

Is my blog burning? In a word, yeah, baby, and it's burning with slightly stale, yet perfectly serviceable bread ends.

A few months ago, I would have met this challenge with any number of things. Fondue, French onion soup, bread pudding, panades, and French toast all leap to mind. But with warmer weather murmuring tidings of summer, I found myself glancing yet again at my panini grill.

Stale bread is perfect for toasting or grilling. Simply schmear the exterior with some form of fat- I'm fond of olive oil- fire it up, and enjoy the toasty goodness.

Today's sandwich was a prosciutto, goat cheese, and fig jam panini. The salty pork played straight man to the sweet marriage of goat cheese and jam, while the bread transformed from paltry wallflower, to a show-stealing flavour-hog. Truly, a properly fitting end to those stray slices of aging bread.

Catch the rest of the round-up with Derrick at an Obsession with Food (And Wine).

Tagged with: and

5 Comments:

Blogger iamchanelle said...

again with the panini grill! :)

yet another witty and awesome post by s'kat!!!

May 01, 2006 1:01 AM  
Blogger wheresmymind said...

Oh man...I love panini! Though I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon...it'd be wicked cool to have one :)

May 01, 2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger krysten said...

hmmmm...i have extra focaccia bread, prosciutto, and goat cheese...but no fig jam. i may try just the savory version of this. i'll be trying a "makeshift" panini press as well: two pizza stones with another heavy stoneware dish on top as a weight.

May 01, 2006 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, sounds wonderful. I love those combinations.

May 01, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Derrick said...

That's a scrumptious-sounding panini. Thanks for participating!

May 06, 2006 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: