Monday, April 17, 2006

Candy-Coated Goodness

Easter only comes once a year, and along with it, the much-lauded Cadbury Mini-Eggs. Now, I'm no candyfreak, but these are really special. A thin, crisp candy shell encircles Cadbury's finest chocolate. Simple, yes, but it works, and very well.

I waited until the last minute to stock up this year, and frighteningly, didn't find any until my sixth store. I swooped in upon the rapidly dwindling supply, dodging the frenzied canes of sweet-looking old ladies, and just barely avoiding the boisterous pushing and shoving of possibly rabid young children.

Yep- that's what the Cadbury's does to normal folk. Suitably outfitted, I returned home and began making the Easter Nests.



I saw something similar a few years ago, but never got around to making it. Just recently, Nosheteria posted up a paen to Cadbury's Mini Eggs, and an incredibly cute photo of some egg-filled Easter Nests.

I vowed to make some for my little nieces and nephews, but something was amiss. While Nosh used a thumbprint cookie for the base, there was still some component absent from the equation: coconut.

There are plenty of good coconut macaroon recipes out there, but this was a special day: I turned to Ina Garten for assistance. Equal parts coconut and sweetened condensed milk transformed into tender, rich little cookies; adequate browning ensured a charmingly nest-like exterior.

Thank you so much for inspiration, Nosheteria! There were many a delighted child yesterday afternoon, and I daresay, many slyly grinning adults as well.




Coconut Macaroons

adapted from Ina Garten

14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in bowl. Whip egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ziz said...

how adorable! I had no idea they were a temporary thing.. :)

April 17, 2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 17, 2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

Way cute nests, s'kat! Funny, I made coconut nests, too! (great minds...heh heh...) I think next time I will go the macaroon route, as those seem alot more sturdy!

Hope you had a GREAT Easter!

April 17, 2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger nosheteria said...

Very sweet-- and Kosher for Passover too! It looks like you have all you religious holidays covered.

April 17, 2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

Hubby loves Coconut Macaroons so I will have to give this a try without the little chocolate eggs. I resisted them today and I need to continue to do so. They are really cute and such a clever idea!

April 17, 2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

ah, yes...the excercise...

can that wait until all my candy is gone?

:)

April 17, 2006 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! What a great idea. I'll have to remember it next time the Cadbury egg season rolls around.

April 17, 2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful!! I'm going to make those next year!!

April 18, 2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Thank you all for your comments!

And Nosheteria, I hadn't even noticed that. Looks like these bad boys can pull double duty next year!

April 18, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

aww, how cute!

April 18, 2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum yum yum. nests everywhere!
you should've been at our easter egg dying party for grown ups. cocktails and candy eggs.

April 19, 2006 12:17 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

That's funny, a friend of mine at work made similar cookies. His were coconut, covered in chocolate, and instead of cadbury minis (my favorite besides the grandpa ones with the cream, i know, but i LOVE them) he used jelly beans. nice;)

April 20, 2006 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: