Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Chicky Goes Grillin'


Ding! Ding! Ding!

This recipe was selected to participate in the May "I Loathe Sandra Lee Monthly Recipe". Woo-hoo! Can I get a 'hell, no!' to processed and heavily refined products in here?

Seriously, though, go check out Joe's fabulous paen to all things good and natural at Foodie NYC.



A weekend trip to Costco left the refrigerator full of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, jugs of salsa, bags of lettuce, enormous blocks of extra-sharp cheddar, and yes- a bag of garlic whose cloves will begin sprouting before I'm halfway through it. Obviously, the time for grilled chicken taco night had come.

The marinade was a simple affair, equal parts spicy horseradish mustard and white wine, chopped garlic, cayenne, and some ancho powder. Let chicken marinate throughout the day, fire up the grill when you remove it from the fridge, and there it is: tender, zingy chicken touched with a bit of smoke, and surrounded by just enough vegetables to make you feel good about yourself.






Grilled Chicken Soft Tacos

Marinade:
1 cup spicy horseradish mustard
1 cup white wine (it can be fruity and fun, just like me)
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
pinch of salt and fresh grind of black pepper

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
warmed soft tortilla shells
lettuce, tomatoes, thinly-sliced red-onion, shredded cheddar, and salsa to finish

Combine all marinade ingredients, and add to chicken in large plastic bag. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least six hours, turning bag over once for even distribution.
Grill, preferably over charcoal. Let cool slightly, slice, and serve in soft tortilla shells with desired accompaniments.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm--that looks delicious. I have to admit that I turn to tortillas as my sure fire fix for any meal. Amazing what you can do with them, or wrap up in them.

April 26, 2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

oooh, I wish I had a grill. Again I'm thinking of taking to the sidewalk with a mini hibachi, which will likely end in arrest and/or incarceration.

April 26, 2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds good to me!

April 26, 2006 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should TOTALLY enter this in Joe's (of http://blog.foodienyc.com/) "i loathe sandra lee" meme
well, that is, unless you like sandra lee
if that's the case, just ignore me
i'm here for the chicken (or at least i wish i was, it looks DELISH!)

April 26, 2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Sher, it's getting to be that time of year when I eat a LOT of tortillas/wraps.

MeBeth, you could always use a grill pan, and keep the exhaust fan on high!

Thanks, Kalyn! Heck, use a leaf-lettuce wrap, and make it even more healthy!

Ann, thank you for pointing this out! I depsise that vapid human fleshbag known as Sandra Lee, so I'll go right ahead and do that.

April 27, 2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger wheresmymind said...

I have to say...I'm never impressed by Sandra Lee.

April 27, 2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!
now i need to get my butt in gear and make something for this... oy, you've set the bar high!!

April 27, 2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

HAHAHA!!! thanks to you, s'kat, i have now been sucked in to the ILSL club - and i never knew she existed until your post! hahaha!

wow. scary.

April 28, 2006 1:25 AM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

I have to say that I am not a fan but her drinks that go with her meals sometimes look pretty good. I just hate how the kitchen junk behind her always matches her cooking outfits.

The tacos do look pretty tasty!

April 29, 2006 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo - freshly made tortillas - so simple & better tasting! buy the premixed ones - where you just add hot water & knead for a bit - roll 'em out & cook it on a non stick (pancake) pan :)

June 12, 2007 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this website!!! Sandra Lee's sagging cleavage makes me so sick I'd rather have my eyes gouged out with a spoon. Her pathetic excuse for "food" makes me seriously skeptical of the Food Network's credibility!! thank you fellow Sandra Lee haters.

December 09, 2007 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: