Monday, November 07, 2005

Two Wines in Brief

A couple of random wine notes here.

Smoking Loon 2004 Chardonnay

First of all, I'm not sure why this picture is so fuzzy- it was taken much earlier in the evening! Nonetheless, it still proved to be a bit of a shaky start.

I should mention that our 'house' chardonnay is Pacific Peak, a real steal at $3.99/bottle. Now Pac Peak drinks at the very least like a $10 wine- the fact that it is so cheap (ack, I mean INEXPENSIVE!) is just a bonus.

We popped the Smoking Loon, admired it's clever label, and had a taste. Hmmmm... very.. thick, very rich, toasty and filled with pear. It was- a'ight, but it wasn't no Pac Peak. For the price, I'd expected more, and was rather let down. I would drink this again, if it were the only choice available in a public setting- sure, that's a no-brainer. Would I buy it again? Are you kidding me?!? No way.


Shotfire Ridge 2003 Barossa Cuvee


This was a very dark, ruby-coloured wine, filled with loads of ripe fruit... blackberry, cassis, and LOTS of alcohol on the nose. The tannins don't really tamp down on the tongue, either. This isn't an innocent sippin'-on-cheese wine, no, this dark little darling needs something ballsy to accompany it; roasted meats, vibrant sausages, a snarling plate of diablo pasta- you get the idea.

I think I'll let this little girl lie down for a while. They say a good nap prolongs longevity.

1 Comments:

Blogger vlb5757 said...

S'kat, I have almost the same picture of a bottle of Smoking Loon. I can't remember why I bought it , but we did and we drank all of it. It was okay, and like you I doubt we will buy another bottle of it. Live and learn.

November 08, 2005 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: