Tuesday, November 01, 2005

All Hallow’s Noshes

It often seems to begin- or end- at Cowboy Syd's, and a certain spooky Saturday night was no exception. DucCat and I had gone down on a whim to the Tapas Lounge for dinner with friends, but it would be about an hour before they could fit us comfortably into a table. We headed back to Cowboy’s to wait it out with some wine and a little nosh.

I must disclose that Halloween is absolutely my favourite holiday, and I’ve only missed dressing up once in my entire life. This year’s costume was Delirium, that kooky and loveable Endless from the Sandman comics. As I strode down Port Warwick’s stately tree-lined sidewalks in my 5-inch platform boots, short pink skirt, and sparkly, gauzy fairy wings, heads turned and strained. The diners in Cowboy Syd’s actually gaped as I walked in, and I wasted no time in winking jovially at a particularly stately and well-dressed older gentlemen. I’m not sure if his double-take was directed at my wings, or the message on my shirt. Gotta love this time of year!


As the dining room settled down, DucCat and I slid into a corner table, and busied ourselves with a Wildekrans 2002 Pinotage. To say that this wine was velvety is an understatement! It was a slow, violet descent into utter realms of dark velvet-dom. The fruit was better and more vibrant than any Halloween candy, and the finish lingered nicely, coyly inviting ‘just one more sip’! Spectacular.

A wine like this was too good to enjoy on it’s own, so DucCat ordered the visiting meat to accompany it. Excellent choice, good sir.


The visiting meat was revealed to be a smoked strip sirloin, so good that I was denied a single juicy bite. Accompanied by surry sausage and fingerling potatoes, this was a great counterpoint to a big, bodacious wine.

When I realized that one of the highlights of my birthday dinner was on the new fall menu, I wasted no time in ordering it once again: the diver scallop with fois gras pancake.

The meaty scallop was perfectly cooked, and floating comfortably in quiddity. That is, if quiddity were a light cream sauce that screamed for the fois gras pancake to be used as sopping material for any stray bits of sauce that hadn’t actually bathed the scallop. It was truly wonderful.

Before we knew it, an hour had passed, and it was time to head back down to the Tapas Lounge for bodaciously rockin’ live jazz, followed by a costume contest.

And remember, the Wierd Sisters say: what happens at Syd’s, stays at Syd’s, yee-haw, baby!

4 Comments:

Blogger vlb5757 said...

You are a far braver soul than I am to dress up and go out to eat! The food at Syd's looks great. If we ever get over to that side of the tunnel, we will go there and eat again!

November 01, 2005 4:29 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Lol- if you ever make it over to this side for dinner, I'll at least join you for a cocktail!

November 01, 2005 4:40 PM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

Sounds good to me! It has to be a Chocolate Martini! I think I may be going to Vegas for business in Jan so I get to have a wonderful White Peach Blini. So I am really looking forward to that!

November 01, 2005 7:11 PM  
Blogger Lita said...

Good on you for being Delirium!!! She is one of my favorite endless girls!

November 02, 2005 2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: