Friday, June 09, 2006

Still Eating Like We're In Virginia Wine Country

I'm still working on getting the photos back from our trip last weekend. In the meantime, I'll share a few goodies we brought home with us from the road.

Just outside of Crozet sits a building that looks remarkably like a nursery. Do yourself a favour, and pull over. Greenwood is actually an upscale gourmet market/wineshop/coffeshop, and they also sell a variety of fresh, organic local produce, eggs, milk, meat, etc. Oh yeah- plants and flowers, too.

There's also a little deli, where we had some of the best eating on the trip. Before leaving for home, we hit it up one last time, and stocked up the cooler. Back in our own kitchen, dinner was a no-brainer.

There had been one fat slice of meatloaf left; DucCat insisted it return with us. He coated it with a little flour, pan-fried it, then made a quick gravy. Served open-faced on toasted bread, I think it's the best meatloaf sandwich I've ever had. Come to think of it, it's the only one, but at this point, the benchmark has been set pretty high.
Now take a look at this;
Yes, that's right.
We paid $26 for almost 2 pounds of tuna salad. Madness? Only of the brilliant sort.
This Italian-style tuna salad is the best I've ever tasted in my life. High quality, oil-packed tuna is bathed in a marinade of red wine vinegar, capers, pickled red peppers, while hints of oregano linger in the background. Mind-blowingly good stuff, and completely worth the price.


When I saw what had finally ripened in the backyard, it was obvious what was on the menu for lunch the next day.

The ultimate tuna sandwich. Between Greenwood's salad, their own bread, and just-picked tomatoes, it was a fine way to relax and wind down from our journey.

Of course, we weren't the only ones who were salivating over that tuna salad. Let me reveal the full scene from the fork shot.
Yes, she was very good, and waited for permission before diving in with abandon.

16 Comments:

Blogger iamchanelle said...

my eyes WIDENED when i saw the price sticker - hahaha! wow!

and what a great idea for a meatloaf sammy!

June 09, 2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger wheresmymind said...

Holy CATZ!! That is a heck of a high price for some tuna! Kudos for going for it...I only wish I was there go have some with ya....hold the Tomahto!

June 09, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

The price may be steep, but the tuna salad sounds just fabulous. Occasionally I splurge on a can of Italian tuna packed in olive oil, which is quite wonderful, and I bet this was even better.

June 09, 2006 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, you're talking about things that are my fatal weakness: Italian tuna, tomato sandwiches (only if made with vine ripened tomatoes, like you did)--and I've been thinking of making meatloaf. I confess that I pay $19 for my favorite tuna--which comes in a little glass jar. I have it about 3 times a year.

June 09, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

FRESH TOMATO! I love tomato season, and that tuna salad looks amazing.

June 09, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

S'kat,
Given the price of good Italian canned tuna, that's not too bad.

June 09, 2006 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks and sounds like the Platonic ideal of tuna salads! How wonderful that you indulged! Bravo!

But the thought of garden-fresh tomatoes is making me weep. We haven't even hit strawberry season yet!

June 09, 2006 3:33 PM  
Blogger krysten said...

ok, so tuna and tomatoes are two of my least favorite things...but that meatloaf looks WONDERFUL...mmmmm, wish i had some now!

June 09, 2006 9:55 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm so hungry now! Tuna, tomatoes, and meatloaf: the perfect trifecta!

June 10, 2006 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh she is such a good girl... (unlike my cat!) The salad looks so good!

June 11, 2006 6:34 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I just LOVE good tuna salad with fresh tomatoes! And I can only imagine how good that Italian tuna salad was.

Ducat's meatloaf looks pretty darn good too.

Ok now I'm hungry.

June 11, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Awww, so sweet of her to ask permission. Mine will just proceed to tackle the tuna from me as they go crazy over it.

June 11, 2006 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the tuna was half as good as you say, I'd think it was worth the price! Can't wait to hear more about your trip -- I haven't been to the Virginia wine country in four years and would love to hear how it's changed...

June 11, 2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger eat stuff said...

oooh! Italian Tuna salad! YUMMMMM

She is a most patient kitty!

June 12, 2006 7:05 AM  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Oh my! what great looking food!

I've tagged you for the 5 meme. Come to my site to check out the particulars.

June 12, 2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

that meatloaf looks damn good.

June 12, 2006 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: