Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Bier Garden

A beautiful Sunday morning prompted DucCat and I onto the motorcycle, speeding across multiple bridges into Portsmouth, honing in our new favourite lunch spot, The Bier Garden.


We were about 20 minutes early, but the screened-in porch was open, so we strode in. The owner smiled at us, told us that they would be open at noon, but we could wait with a beer, if we desired. We desired. (click on picture for larger view.)



At her prompting, I went with the Weihenstephaner Hefe, and DucCat went with the Boddington's. Lovely. We kicked back and relaxed under the wisteria-covered porch, enjoying the eclectic mish-mash of tablecloths, mis-matched chairs, and moss-covered statuettes. The sky cleared just a bit more, birds chirped sweetly, and the restaurant officially opened.

We'd snuck in our orders a bit earlier, so we shortly had a ridiculous amount of steaming hot German goodness before us.


DucCat went with his benchmark German test-food, the Goulasche. It was served on a delightful bed of spaetzle, and came with a side of his choice, in this case, the green bean salad. He loved it all- the beef was tasty and tender, the gravy was the perfect consistency. A true ploughman's lunch- I was as impressed as he.



I was tempted to go yet again with my liverwurst sandwich, but in the interest of branching out, selected the Braunwurst platter, with a pretzel roll. The pretzel roll, I wasn't so impressed with- I guess I'd anticipated it being more pretzel-ish. The braunwurst was excellent; subtly spicy, with hints of mustard and marjoram. I got the large platter, so DucCat could try one as well. Mine came with a choice of two sides, and I chose the cucumber salad, and potato salad. Both were quite good, the cucumber salad liberally doused with vinegar and dill; the potato salad flecked with chunks of bacon.

I'd almost finished my beer, but an over-eager fly took a nose-dive into my glass. I was okay letting the little guy finish it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: