Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Movin' On

Re-update! My new home is at bistro613. Check it out here, or feel free to browse around through my blospot archives.
~~~
Hello, good reader-folk, old and new. Some stuff is about to rock the shizz-bah, and its time to come clean.

A local cornerstone of food-writing and restaurant criticism has finally decided to lighten her load, and hop on up to the upper tier of newspaper editorialism. Good for her- not so much for the public at large.

I received a call from the newspaper, wondering if there may be an interest in picking up some of the detail. My blog, my love of food, had caught their attention. And since I was writing about food and restaurants any way.... the answer was unabashedly yes, yes, yes!

We post-published an article or two from my blog, along with a restaurant review. My view, ha ha, seemed to be different enough on both levels to pull out a passionate reaction from folk. As with anything in the biz, some good, some bad. Either way, it's good that people are finally TALKING about food in a passionate manner- that's what its all about.

For the folks who have followed me since the beginning of "s'kat and the food", it's been an incredibly fun journey. I was already taking pictures of food and wine, and need some outlet to talk about it as well- a blog turned out to be the perfect way to do so.

As with so many other blog-folk, this has rapidly turned into more than I ever anticipated. The people I've met out there in the electronic-foodie world have proved kind, considerate, friendly, and more rockin' than I ever could have anticipated. I love the folk I've met through these tenuous internet connections, whether it be through blogs, comments or emails, I see one common cord shining through: real folk. Real compassion. And a love of good food.

I think this is going to be a good thing.

At any rate, I'm not ending my blog, but I am moving it. From here on out, you'll find me under the umbrella of the Daily Press at s'kat and the food. In addition to regular blogging activities, I'll have a restaurant review every Wednesday, and will put out two 'Taste' stories a month.

Things on the blog will look a little different. Foremost, it will be under the masthead of the paper, and that means adverts. Just scroll down if that type of thing bothers you.

Secondly, the blog will now be hosted by TypePad, and instead of the 2-column layout I use, its shifted to three. Other than that, folks, it will be business as usual. Be sure to update your links/feeds/readers, and hope to see you over there!

Cheers,
Shelley Rauch

40 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Wow - S'kat - that is totally AWESOME news. Congratulations! woo hoo. That's like a fairy tale! Remind me to update my rss reader.

Good luck.
Onwards and Upwards....

June 14, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Congrats - that's awesome news!

June 14, 2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Holy Smackeroonies! Congrats to you! If anyone could make people passionate about food, it's sure to be you! :)

June 14, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Ilva said...

Congrats! Wow, how nice! I'm changing my rss feed right now!

June 14, 2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Ok, just subscribed to the new feed. Again, how cool!

June 14, 2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

Shelley, congrats! Who knew that a letter to the newspaper and a blog would lead to this? It's great that you were able to slide into Prue's spot. Does that mean you will be leaving the "other" job because of this?

June 14, 2006 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations! Getting paid to blog - the dream come true for so many of us! Best of luck!

June 14, 2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger Ziz said...

congrats congrats!! :)

June 14, 2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Thanks for all the good cheer, people! It's a really exciting opportunity, and I hope to make the most of it.

Vicky, sadly, I am still at the library 40 hours a week. The paper couldn't pick me up full-time. But I would love it if they could... ARE YOU READING THIS, DP??

June 14, 2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

You certainly deserve it! Congratulations Shelley

June 14, 2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Rachael Narins said...

You are a super star and it's awesome to hear this news! Congrats, and keep up the amazing work! Woooooooeeeeeeeeee!

June 14, 2006 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY YOU!!!
congrats!!!

June 14, 2006 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous!!! I'm so happy for you. They were very smart to snap you up, to say the least. Congratulations!

June 14, 2006 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool! Congrats!

June 14, 2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Woo Hoo!

June 14, 2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Go, go, go, go GOOOOOOOOOOOO!! That's just terrific!

X while from now: "Oh yeah, I knew Shelley way back when she bylined as s'kat."

June 14, 2006 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fantabulous, S'kat, congratulations! You'll be great.

June 14, 2006 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations S'kat. Sounds exciting.

June 14, 2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger William Conway said...

Awesome! Congrats on living the dream...

June 14, 2006 6:27 PM  
Blogger barb said...

what a terrific, exciting journey you are on. Good luck and look forward to your many, many more writings.

June 14, 2006 7:38 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Wow! A huge, ginormous congratulations are in order, my dear s'kat! I look forward to following you over to the Daily Press and wherever you should go from there. Whoop whoop!

June 14, 2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Wow! And woo!! Congrats - what a great recognition of your fantstic site and talents!

June 14, 2006 10:46 PM  
Blogger Tea said...

Wonderful news! I am thrilled for you and look forward to reading about your continued adventures. Yay for passionate people getting recognized for doing what they love.

June 14, 2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

Congratulations, that so totally rocks! And, for you, I'll even avert y eyes from the ads as they scroll by.

So what are you eating to celebrate?

June 15, 2006 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many many congratulations, s'kat - t's wonderful news! Best of luck and we're looking forward to hearing more about it.

June 15, 2006 4:58 AM  
Blogger nika said...

Much congrats.

One thought for you.. with your blog moving..make sure you have a clear understanding with the paper about who owns the content (words and shots) especially if you syndicate and if you decide in the future that you are no longer going to continue with them.

You will put alot of work into that and it would be bad if its not yours to use as you see fit.

June 15, 2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Congratulations!! It's awesome to see someone's passion bring them continued success.

I'm sure this is just the beginning.

Wow, and I knew you when...Way to go!

June 15, 2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

woot for s'kat!

congrats - way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

chanelle

June 15, 2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I just found your blog today and saw your exciting news! That's really excellent. And it's nice to "meet" another Hampton Roads food blogger!

June 15, 2006 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I am very pleased for you! Congratulations!!!

June 15, 2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Wow - that's wonderful news. Congratulations and I'll be changing my links so I don't miss a word!!!

June 15, 2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger MizD said...

A woefully late hearty congratulations, S'kat!

June 15, 2006 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great- I've missed having a regular food column in the DP and read your blog regularly for local food recommendations (I live in Williamsburg). I'll keep reading!

June 16, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

That's great... congrats !q

June 16, 2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Again, thank you all so much! Exciting times, for sure, lie ahead.

KitchenMage, we celebrated with- what else- homemade pizza!

Nika- I was very hesitant initially about moving my blog. We have hammered out the details, and the content will remain my own. But thanks!

June 16, 2006 5:08 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

S'kat - that is the COOLEST THING EVER - CONGRATULATIONS - I am so excited for you!!! A food blogger's dream come true!!! I'm moving my bookmark to your new location asap.

June 17, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger e d b m said...

S'kat, congratulations. That is stellar. Wish you well on your new, extended endeavor. I think it's great when people get applauded for doing something they love (to eat).

June 28, 2006 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how cool is this-I have enjoyed your writings for awhile!!

August 30, 2006 5:19 PM  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Wow, how wonderful for you and justly deserved. Best of luck.

February 12, 2007 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats ! Yes i go in your new blog

February 15, 2007 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: